Saturday, February 9, 2013

Watch This Space

So while some of the world revels in beignets and plastic beads, I've been thinking about Lent. As a good Episcoplian girl, even when I'm not attending church regularly, I stil feel the need to observe Lent and Advent with a passion. (Heh heh heh, get it? Passion.)

Since Lent starts off all about the guilt, I thought this year I'd do something I've felt guilty about not doing in a long time--blogging. See, as an aspiring novelist, I often hear that I need to have an online presence. I also have an Etsy store, and often get advice that I really need to be blogging about the artwork I make.

But I never do, mostly because I just find it hard to believe that I'll have anything new to say about the process of writing or making art, and my house is not usually clean enough to set up photo shoots about the fun craft project my kids all did together. (Who am I kidding? We never do cute craft projects. That's why I sent them to preschool--I know how to delegate to my weaknesses.)

I do, however have a misguided notion that I have something to say about religion and faith. If string theory turns out to be correct, then I'm sure there are multiple alternative universes in which I'm an ordained priest in the Epsicopal church.

So my big plan is, I'm going to pretend I'm a priest for Lent--every Monday through Friday, I'll read the lessons for the week, and then on Saturday, I'll write a little sermon in the form of an essay. Totally, totally self-indulgent Lenten discipline, I know. But it comes from a place of guilt, so that's got to count for something.

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful idea. I look forward to reading your Lenten thoughts and have always appreciated the way you help me think outside my Baptist box. (Democrats can be Christians, who knew?).

    ReplyDelete